Nicolas Cole is the Author of “Confessions of a Teenage Gamer, is a Personal Branding Consultant, Inc Columnist, Speaker, and Entrepreneur.
At 17 years old, Nicolas Cole was a one of the highest rank World of Warcraft players in North America. He had one of the first WoW blogs on the internet with over 10,000 daily readers. He was one of the pioneers of the gaming industry as we know it today, filled with YouTube channels, Twitch streams etc. It all started with blogs like Cole’s. However, even though he was an e-celebrity, his family and loved ones never acknowledged his success which lead to further challenges with both his identity and self esteem.
He experienced all of this success while suffering from an undiagnosed case of Celiac Disease. While experiencing depression and physical pain offline, he turned substances to handle the pain; to which he went to rehab after his first year of college. 2 years later, at 170 lbs. and 7% body fat, he had become a fitness model, a straight ‘A’ student and ended up graduating from Columbia College Chicago with honors.
When he graduated from school, he started working at a digital agency in Chicago where he learned about digital marketing. With his own interests and ability to go from “nothing to something” in both gaming and fitness, he started working with brands and companies to help them go from “nothing to something” in terms of people paying attention to and knowing about their business.
Now his pursuits include being daily columnist for Inc, and has had work published in just about every major publication—TIME, Forbes, Fortune, Huffington Post, Business Insider, Entrepreneur, etc.— The crossroads he’s found is both working with people to help them understand what their unique value is, and at the same time bringing to the table his knowledge of digital marketing to help them stand out among the competition.
We discuss with Cole his inspiring story and how his approach to a life, business and contribution makes a difference for those he works with.
Tidbits from the show:
1. Blogging and Gaming were once looked at as unviable career paths. What are we considering now as unviable that will be viable soon?
2. Trust your intuition, always.
3. Find a way to ‘Gamify’ whatever your projects.
4. Don’t be afraid to put out your content.
5. Influence in your own tribe or community is a pathway to success.
6. Teaching others while telling your own story is a great content strategy to create authority.
7. Privilege isn’t always privileged (listen in for the explanation of this).
8. If you don’t follow your passions, it will ultimately be your downfall.
9. The scenic road is where you learn the skills that make a real difference in your successes.
10. You can be both a true artist and have a great grasp at making money doing it. The artist and the marketer can be the same person.
11. A key part of all this is asking yourself “what do people want to learn from you?”
12. The first step is most important.
Author / Book that Cole referenced:
1. Portnoy’s Complaint: Phillip Roth
You can find and reach out personally to Nicolas Cole and pick up a copy of his book here: NicolasCole.com/bookstore
And across Social Media:
Twitter, IG and Snapchat: @NicolasCole77
Read his work on Inc.com here: Inc.com/author/nicolas-cole
GoGnarly.com is where you find all that great, non-GMO nutrition based supplements that you hear about on this show. Check ‘em out!
JointheAnnex.com is our Private Facebook Community where you can access your FREE 12 Week Expansion Blueprint AND have access to the support you need starting at just $1.